¡Muy Importante!

YodersAfloat is moving! Please come and see us at our new location. Be sure to update your bookmarks. Once you get there, sign up yo receive notifications of updates via e-mail.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

9/18/2010 - Listening to the radio

Whenever we hit a new port, I try to find a decent local radio station. My first choice would be a Public Radio station but I'm so spoiled by OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) that very few other stations quite measure up. But, absent finding good public radio, I like to find a good music station. Particularly in the smaller towns, it's fun to listen to the local happenings, etc. The station in Clarkston, Washington used to even have a "radio classifieds" session. Kind of a Craig's List of the air. Very small town and homey.

Mostly all I ever find are stations that are part of some big conglomerate with a few minutes of local news and advertising thrown in to make you think the DJ actually put the play list together himself (or herself). Once you listen for a few hours you've heard everything they are going to play.

But, here in Fort Bragg we happened across a station that sounds like they got hold of my iPod somehow. They're playing great stuff: Paul Simon, Grateful Dead, Joni Mitchell, CSN, Mark Knopfler, Heart w/Allison Kraus, Neil Young, Peter Gabriel, Jimi Hendrix, etc. And not just the expected stuff either. They play songs from deeper into the albums as well as live cuts I've never heard before. And they aren't just playing artists from my iPod. They play lots of good stuff that I've never heard before by artists I've never heard of. Oh yeah, they throw in the occasional Springsteen song but I can handle those as the price I have to pay to hear all the good stuff. Been listening all day and haven't heard one single song repeated yet.

So, credit where credit is due. Here's a big shout out for KOZT-FM 95.3, Fort Bragg, California.


No comments: