¡Muy Importante!

YodersAfloat is moving! Please come and see us at our new location. Be sure to update your bookmarks. Once you get there, sign up yo receive notifications of updates via e-mail.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

6/20/2010 - A productive day

We both had a pretty productive day yesterday. I got the engine room storage unit hung, a new power wire run to my SSB radio, and the wires run from both solar panels, through watertight fittings in the bulwarks and down into the engine room. Final wiring to the charge controller and the batteries to follow.

Lulu, enjoying the nice day, took down all of the teak slats in the ceiling on her side of the v-berth. Translation for landlubbers: The "ceiling" in a boat is what covers the inside of the hull. In a house it would be the interior wall covering (most likely sheetrock). This is not that weird as the first definition in Webster's College Dictionary for "ceil" is "to furnish (as a wooden ship) with a lining". Anyway, the ceiling in the v-berth (our bedroom) is made up of one and three quarter inch wide teak slats running horizontally or parallel with the waterline. Lulu took the ones on her side down and washed the fiberglass hull behind them. The fiberglass didn't look to bad and it cleaned up really nicely considering this may be the first time in 34 years that it's been done.

The slats that she didn't remove were because the bookcase complicated things. However, she was still able to wash behind them since they stand proud of the hull about an inch. Then she took all these slats out on the dock and lightly sanded them and applied a coating of teak oil that's been laced with a fungicide to protect against mildew growth. We ran out of time before she could put them back up and besides, we figured it'd be better to let them cure overnight. Today she hung the slats back up and then took the ceiling down on my side and washed the inside of the hull. However, the weather was drizzly all day so she couldn't sand and oil them yet. So we'll just have to live around them for a few days.

Remember a couple days ago when I wrote about the lack of space on the boat and how everything had to be moved to do anything. Well, this job was a perfect example. While Lulu was busy working on the v-berth, this is what the saloon looked like:

Everything has got to be somewhere.

And, if productivity and good weather wasn't enough yesterday, our friends Jay & Judy from s/v Wind Raven brought us two huge hunks of fresh-caught halibut which we had for dinner. All in all, a fine day.

No comments: