¡Muy Importante!

YodersAfloat is moving! Please come and see us at our new location. Be sure to update your bookmarks. Once you get there, sign up yo receive notifications of updates via e-mail.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

5/5/2011 - Still anchored, San Evaristo

The anchorage started getting swells in from the south during the wee hours of the morning and so, was a little rolly. Not much wind, though. Doug & Jody on s/v Gitano headed out for Los Gatos at about 0900. As they left the anchorage they were motor-sailing into a very still and placid sea. However, within an hour, a north wind came up that I'm sure caused them some fits. The wind blew hard enough here at San Evaristo that we weren't overly interested in launching the dinghy for a trip ashore. Maybe if the outboard had been mounted but it wasn't and I just didn't feel like going ashore bad enough to bother.

I had great intentions to get started trying to stop the water incursion we'd suffered on our way here. But, after I got one piece of the ceiling in the v-berth off, it was pretty evident that the source of the leaks is the caprails. The caulking between the caprails and the hull-deck joint is old and cracked and falling out. It needs to all be picked out and new caulking injected. However, this will have to wait until we reach somewhere that we can buy caulking. I have a few small tubes for little repairs but this is going to take several large tubes. Until then, we'll avoid rough water and, if we do hit some that we can't avoid, we'll just have to pile the bedding in the middle of the v-berth, away from the sides. We'll manage.

After that I inserted a shim between the tiller and the rudder headstock as the tiller was getting kind of wobbly. The shim didn't do the job so I'm back to door shims driven in and then taped/tied in place. We're beginning to compile a list of projects we need to do during a haulout. Maybe we'll spend September on the hard at Guaymas before we cruise back down the Sea for the winter.

Lulu did a couple of small sewing projects, using her machine. Even with the sewing machine running, we're ending the day with the batteries closer to completely full than we ever have before. Vive el sol! Tomorrow I believe we'll tap in to that stash by running the water maker for 4 hours or so.

Although yesterday I wrote that there apparently no fish here, I found out last night how wrong I was. I stepped outside once and the water around the boat was very noisy with splashing. I got my spotlight out and lit things up. WOW! The water was thick with krill and there were these strange looking invertebrates swimming around as well. They looked sort of like what the bottom of an anemone looks like and were fringed with dozens of short stubby tentacles or legs. They looked like they were about 1.5 to 2 inches across the long way and maybe 1 to 1.5 inches wide. Although their shape changed, they were basically more or less oval. There were also lots of skinny fish maybe up to a foot long. Everything except the krill was very light-shy and dispersed as soon as they could after I lit things up. But, as soon as I extinguished the light, they came back. Looking forward to seeing them again tonight. Maybe I'll be able to get a picture.

Sent most of the day reading. I'm currently reading the part of Steinbeck's "Log From The Sea of Cortez" that deals with Isla Espiritu Santo, La Paz, and Isla San Jose. I'm only reading about places we've been or are at. Don't want to read ahead. My main read right now is H.G. Wells' "Around The World In Eighty Days". One of the great things about having a Kindle full of all these old titles is that I'm finally reading a lot of these books that I've heard of forever but haven't read. Got Lulu hooked on H. Rider Haggard. She's currently on book 3: "Allan's Wife".

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: