¡Muy Importante!

YodersAfloat is moving! Please come and see us at our new location. Be sure to update your bookmarks. Once you get there, sign up yo receive notifications of updates via e-mail.

Monday, May 24, 2010

5/24/2010 - Anchor rode

I tried. I really did. I tried to get all of my anchor rode stowed in the anchor locker. I installed a vertical divider so that I could stow two separate rodes. But it just wouldn't all fit. I was really glad that I had decided not to glass the divider in as I had originally planned. Made removing it so much easier.

Our primary anchor is a 15 kg (33 lb.) Rocna with 200' of 5/16" high test chain backed up by 250' of 5/8" nylon line. My secondary anchor is a 15 kg Bruce copy with 50' of 5/16" HT chain backed up by 150' of 5/8" nylon. Both of these anchors are carried on rollers on the bowsprit. Stowed under the V-berth is a 35 lb. CQR with 50' of 3/8" HT chain and 250' of 5/8" nylon (Hmmm...maybe I should swap those two rodes). Finally, in the lazerette we have a 10 kg Danforth with 50' of 5/16" HT chain and 150' of 5/8" nylon. So, although some of my rodes may be a skosh short, I believe we're pretty well fixed for ground tackle.

But, there's just no way that all of my primary and secondary rodes can be stashed belowdecks.

So today I threw in the towel. First I removed the anchor locker divider. Then I made the nylon-to-chain splice on my new primary anchor rode.


Then I stowed the primary rode in the anchor locker and relegated the secondary rode to a milk crate on the foredeck. Not particularly Bristol, I'll admit, but better to have it stowed in a milk crate than not to have the rode at all.


PS: A note on my use of the word "rode". The way I learned it, the thing that connects the stuff that's strung between the anchor and the boat is the "rode", regardless of what it's made of. I oftentimes read internet comments from sailors who reserve the word "rode" for line only. They might refer to having "100' of chain backed up by 250' of nylon rode". When I use the word, it refers to the whole length. So, my primary anchor has 450' of rode.

We were a little concerned as to how Siempre Sabado would respond to another 250 lbs of ground tackle stowed up forward. Well, it did bring the bow down a little, but not very much.

Oh yeah, I also got my other solar panel mounted today. Now comes the harder part: wiring them up.


No comments: